How to renounce Canadian citizenship

PT       2001-05-29 
Okay, so you've decided you don't want to be a Canadian any more. Now what? No, you can't just leave your passport at Canada Customs on your way out of the country. If, like newspaper baron Conrad Black, you want to turn your back on Canada, the first step is to submit a written application for renunciation of Canadian citizenship. This will be assessed by the Senior Citizenship Judge, an employee of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. A total of 96 Canadians took this step last year - in sharp contrast to the 215,000 people who obtained Canadian citizenship. All 96 requests were granted.