Law of the Czech National Council No. 40/1993, on gaining and losing
citizenship of the Czech Republic, is hereby amended and supplemented as
1. In § 2, new item b) is inserted, which reads: "b) adoption (§ 3a)"
Previous items b) through e) are hereby designated as items c) through f).
2. After § 3, new § 3a is hereby inserted which reads:
Citizenship by adoption
Children at least one parent of whom is citizen of the Czech Republic shall gain citizenship of the Czech Republic
on the day on which ruling on adoption becomes legally valid."
3. In § 11, subsection 1 d), the word "irrevocably" is hereby left out.
4. In § 11 subsection 1, full stop at the end of item e) is hereby replaced with the conjunction "or", and new item f) inserted which reads:
"f) at least one of whose parents is citizen of the Czech Republic."
5. § 14, subsection 1 a) reads:
"a) gained citizenship of a foreign state, or"
6. After § 18, new § 18a is hereby inserted which reads:
Citizens of the Slovak Republic born on its territory prior to December 31st, 1993, and whose parents, or at least one of them,
as the case may be, were born on the territory of the Czech Republic, or citizens of the Slovak Republic who have reached or will
reach not later than in 1993 the age of 60 can choose citizenship of the Czech Republic by making a declaration by December 31st, 1993,
at the district office according to the place of their permanent residence, unless they have already gained said citizenship, provided that they
a) have been continously residing on the territory of the Czech Republic for at least two years,
b) were not sentenced in the past five years for wilful punishable offence."
7. In § 23, after subsection 2, new subsection 3 is hereby inserted which reads:
"(3) The court which gave a ruling on adoption of a child, who by this adoption gained citizenship of the Czech Republic according to § 3a, shall advise of this fact, within 10 working days from the day on which the ruling on
adoption became legally valid, the appropriate district office according to the place of permanent residence of the child. In cases of children without permanent residence on the territory of the Czech Republic, the Municipal District Office in Prague 1 shall be notified."
Previous subsection 3 is hereby designated as subsection 4.
8. After § 27, new § 27a and § 27b are hereby inserted which read:
Applications for citizenship of the Czech Republic, filed by December 31st, 1992, shall be attended to acordin to regulations in force as of the day of their submission.
The government may extend by order the deadlines set in § 18 subsections 1 and 2, in § 18a and § 19 subsection 1 of this law, to June 30st, 1994, at the latest."
This law shall take effect on the day of its promulgation.